A 10-year-old boy in India died after eating a lollipop that was given to him by a grocery shop owner.
The victim’s parents suspect foul play, as they said their child was healthy before consuming the treat.
The victim, identified as Baikuntha Sabar, was offered the candy by a person, who runs a shop in the Dimbirikholi village, located in the eastern state of Odisha. The shop owner had called the boy to his house and then handed him the treat, Odisha TV reported.
The family members of the deceased said their son was in good health before he ate the lollipop. They suspected foul play, as the candy did not get stuck in the boy’s throat, causing his death. They believe the candy had some harmful substance that led to the minor’s death.
However, the exact reason behind the child’s death was not known.
The police launched an investigation into the incident Monday, and also seized the candies sold at the shop for further investigation. An autopsy is being conducted to determine the exact cause of death.
“We have started an investigation. We have sent the body to Berhampur for autopsy. Nobody has been detained and further investigation is underway,” Prashant Nisika, a police officer at the local station, told local media.
“There was no fever and my son was playing throughout the day. However, his condition deteriorated soon after eating the lollipop. We suspect some foul play as the shop owner could have given the lollipop at his shop instead at his house,” the victim’s mother, Pramila, told Odisha TV.
The police have not detained the shop owner, but have asked him not to leave the village until the investigation was completed, the New Indian Express reported.
Last month, a one and a half-year-old child, who was choking on popcorn, died after being treated by a drunk doctor in India. The incident took place in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh. The family blamed the doctor for the child’s death, alleging they had to wait an hour for the man, who was supposed to be on duty at the time. Later, the doctor arrived at the hospital “drunk.” After being attended by the doctor, the child was declared dead.