A 16-year-old boy in India died Tuesday when a wall-mounted LCD TV exploded in his friend’s house, the police said.
The tragic incident, which also left two people injured, took place in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
According to local media reports, the teenager – identified by his first name Omendra – was watching the television with his friend, Karan, when the device exploded with a loud bang. Karan’s mother was also in the same room when the blast took place, the Press Trust of India reported.
All three victims were rushed to a hospital. Omendra was declared dead at the hospital, while Karan and his mother were undergoing treatment, Zee News reported.
Their current condition remains unknown.
Authorities said they have launched an investigation into the incident. An autopsy was also conducted after completing legal formalities, senior police officer Gyanendra Singh.
A possible reason for a TV explosion could be a power surge or a sudden fluctuation in the voltage, according to DNA India. A power surge can occur due to different reasons, none of which can be controlled by a user. Therefore, it is essential that manufacturers add numerous components that will allow the device to withstand fluctuations.
Overheating can also be the cause of an electrical appliance’s explosion. Most devices are prone to catch fire or can explode under high temperatures. When used for longer durations, a television can overheat easily.
However, the police are yet to reveal the cause of the TV explosion. The police also did not reveal the manufacturer of the LCD TV nor the year in which the device was manufactured.
Last month in the same Indian state, an 8-month-old baby died after the battery of a mobile phone charging next to her exploded. The police said the phone was purchased nearly six months ago. It had a swollen battery plugged into a switch connected to a solar panel. The infant’s mother was not in the room at the time of the explosion. The child was rushed to the hospital with serious burn injuries. She died while receiving treatment. The child’s uncle said the phone was getting charged via a USB cable when it exploded.
- Baby Dies After Mobile Battery Charging Next To Her Explodes
- Pilot Dies After Single-Engine Jet Crashes In Nevada