Gold Coast is set to significantly free up its salary cap this off-season.
Plus Collingwood has ramped up its bid for one of its targets.
Get all the latest player movement news in AFL Trade Whispers!
Watch every match of the AFLW Season LIVE on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
SUNS SET FOR $2M PLAY
Geelong is reportedly in the mix for out-of-favour Suns defender Jack Bowes, who has a heavily backended contract.
Bowes’ contract for the next two years is reportedly worth more than $1 million overall, with the Herald Sun reporting the Suns are keen on offloading him along with pick No.7 this trade period.
SEN reports Geelong is “very interested” in Bowes and that he is owed roughly $850,000 next season, which is the second-last year of his current deal.
The Suns are looking to offload $2 million of salary cap space according to the Herald Sun, as the club looks to realign its player payments and keep the likes of Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson at the club.
Bowes is a former pick No.10, while the Suns are set to lose another top-end selection in Izak Rankine, who is set on being traded to Adelaide in the trade period.
PIES RAMP UP BID FOR MITCHELL
Collingwood has ramped up its bid for Hawthorn midfielder Tom Mitchell, reports 7 News.
The 2018 Brownlow medallist is exploring a move away from the Hawks after having reduced midfield minutes in 2022 and is among several targets of the Magpies.
It’s believed Hawthorn is prepared to contribute to the final year of the 29-year old’s salary for him to play elsewhere given the funds it’d clear.
7 News’ Mitch Cleary reports Collingwood would however first need to clear salary such as Brodie Grundy’s big-money contract until 2025 to make room for Mitchell.
“Talks between the Magpies and Tom Mitchell’s management have ramped up since Mitchell returned home from Europe early last week,” Cleary said on 7 News.
“Mitchell is keen on a move to the Pies, and the Pies want a centre clearance specialist, but they’ll need to open money.
“Brodie Grundy moving to Melbourne is one potential avenue, which is looking increasingly likely.”
ACRES PRICE REVEALED
AFL Media reports off-contract Fremantle winger Blake Acres is expected to be traded to Carlton early next week in a deal likely centred around a third-round pick.
Acres is among several Dockers seeking a trade away from the club as he looks to return to Victoria and continue his career at a third team after stints at St Kilda and Fremantle.
The 26-year old, who’s played 120 AFL games, is expected to join the Blues on a three-year deal.
It comes after a strong season from Acres, averaging 21.7 disposals per game and making the wing role his at the Dockers to emerge as a mid-season All-Australian contender before suffering a hamstring setback in Round 13.
“He had no thought process that he would be traded,” Acres’ manager Colin Young of Corporate Sports Australia told AFL Trade Radio on Monday.
“But we just thought they’d might be a tight squeeze with their salary cap, so Blake when we did that trade many years ago, he actually didn’t know that he was going to go to Fremantle before probably one day before trade finished.
“He certainly didn’t leave to chase the money, it looked like for us he sort of got squeezed out a little bit because they’ve got (potential recruit Luke) Jackson coming in.
“The phone call that Andrew (McDougall) had with (Carlton list manager) Nick Austin and then just after the season finished, the conversation Blake (Acres) had with Vossy about where he’d play on the wing and he’d fit in really well. So’s going to be super for them next year.”
The trade period officially opens next Monday, October 3.