Buddhist spiritual leader, the 14th Dalai Lama, marks his 87th birthday on Wednesday. He was born on July 6, 1935, at Taktser village in northeastern Tibet as Tenzin Gyatso.
At the age of two, he was recognized as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso. He was formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama in 1939.
In 1989, the Dalai Lama received the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaign against freedom and democracy in Tibet.
Here are some quotes by the Dalai Lama, collected from Brainy Quote and AZ Quotes to share on this day.
1. “A lack of transparency results in distrust and a deep sense of insecurity.”
2. “We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.”
3. “Don’t ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness. Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.”
4. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”
5. “The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred.”
6. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.”
7. “When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy.”
8. “Anger cannot be overcome by anger. If someone is angry with you, and you show anger in return, the result is a disaster. On the other hand, if you control your anger and show its opposite – love, compassion, tolerance, and patience – not only will you remain peaceful, but the other person’s anger will also diminish.”
9. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.”
10. “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”