Manly are set to offer Anthony Seibold a three-year deal to replace Des Hasler, but Shane Flanagan revealed he hasn’t spoken to the club despite reports he’ll join as an assistant.
Flanagan rubbished a report that he has ‘agreed to terms’ on a deal with the Sea Eagles, emphasising he hasn’t spoken to the club let alone seen a contract.
Premiership-winner Flanagan was last in charge of an NRL roster at the Sharks in 2018 and told the Fox League Podcast earlier this year of his desire to return to the coaches box.
But the 56-year-old told Fox League on Thursday night that he hasn’t spoken to Manly “at all”.
Watch every match of the Rugby League World Cup LIVE & Exclusive to Fox Sports, on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
FOX LEAGUE PODCAST: Rugby League World Cup Preview Special
Seibold’s last head coaching offer in the NRL was five years at the Broncos with an option for a sixth — but Manly see three seasons as enough time for him to turn the club around.
Seibold’s time at Red Hill came to a dramatic close after just one and a half seasons as the Broncos endured a horror 2020 campaign and went on to collect the club’s first wooden spoon.
Greece’s try of the tournament contender | 00:51
He landed a job with the Knights as a consultant last season but was not extended for 2022.
Seibold has been working with England’s rugby union team under Eddie Jones since September last year.
Jones has even been linked to a role in Manly’s football department.
MORE NRL NEWS
PRESSURE: Hasler has hit the open market — these NRL coaches should be worried
JUDICIARY: Doueihi banned for ref spray; Milford suspension adds to Samoa woes
‘WEIGHT OFF MY SHOULDERS’: Dragons young gun backflips on release request
‘MANLY WILL BE MANLY’: DCE breaks silence on Hasler’s Sea Eagles axing
‘SEND THEM HOME’: Voss blasts ‘insipid’ Samoans after shock England defeat
The three-year offer for Seibold comes four days after he told foxsports.com.au that “no deal has been done with Manly as yet.”
And while the Sea Eagles look to be edging closer to securing Seibold’s services, there could be a delay in his start with the club.
Seibold is in the UK with the English Rugby side and as foxsports.com.au confirmed last week, he is expected to fulfil his commitments for the vital November Tests.
That means the 48-year-old will miss the start of Manly’s pre-season, which is scheduled to kick-off on November 10.
Amid the fallout from Hasler’s sacking, there have been more changes to Manly’s football staff with head of high performance Don Singe revealing on social media that he is leaving the club.
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
Italian debutant grabs Hattrick | 00:47
“It is time for me to take that next professional step,” Singe wrote on Facebook.
“Many of you have been with me as I transition into corporate and wellbeing spaces. My passion and interest in these areas has seen me placed into the Elite Athlete Wellbeing Management program with the support of the NRL.
“I will now stand down as the longest-serving Head of Performance at Manly Sea Eagles and pursue my career in wellbeing for sport and corporate organisations as well as assist championing Polynesian cultural growth in sport for coaches and players.
“The Manly club has afforded me every decency and respect during this time and I am genuinely grateful for the years of trust and their support through my transition.”