Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has revealed he “could possibly look” at signing Tom and Jake Trbojevic.
The brothers, who are big supporters of Hasler, are signed to Manly until the end of 2026 but recent comments made by their manager will keep the club on high alert.
Paul Sutton told News Corp that the brothers were “unhappy” and concerned that their beloved club was “imploding.”
Watch every match of the Rugby League World Cup LIVE & Exclusive to Fox Sports, on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
FOX LEAGUE PODCAST: Rugby League World Cup Preview Special
Trbojevic then called an emergency meeting with Sutton to discuss his future. The outcome of that meeting was that the club’s situation is too delicate for the 26-year-old to make an immediate call and he will continue on with the Sea Eagles.
Des done! Manly sack head coach | 07:33
But no doubt several rivals are keeping a close eye on the fallout from Hasler’s sacking — particularly Bennett, who still has plenty of cash to spend for next season.
Bennett told The Sydney Morning Herald that it’s a possibility he may consider.
“We’re interested in any player who is coming off contract or is available to negotiate,” he said.
“We all know the standing of those two players in the game. It’s something we could possibly have a look at.”
MORE NRL NEWS
WHISPERS: Dragons young gun issues club with second release request as Dogs circle
TRANSFER CENTRE: Top 30 to development players – Every 2023 NRL star locked in
WC STARS WITH POINT TO PROVE: Koroisau’s Roos snub; Foxx’s brutal Blues cull
‘HUMBLED’: Brad Fittler inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame class of 2022
But Sea Eagles CEO Tony Mestrov indicated that the club would not entertain a release request — if it even gets that far.
“They are an integral part of the future of the club,” Mestrov told the Herald.
“They are contracted to the end of 2026, simple as that. I’ve spoken to them quite a number of times, both brothers, they are a big part of the club’s future.
“We will discuss things with them regarding the future of the club. They are here until the end of 2026 as far as the club is concerned.”
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
‘Start all over again’ Cronk on Manly | 02:45
In a dramatic twist, News Corp reported that Manly were actually willing to offload the brothers and that they had been offered to a rival Sydney club.
But Mestrov shot down those claims.
“I don’t know where those suggestions are coming from because they aren’t coming from the club,” he told News Corp.
“I’ve spoken to Tom and Jake numerous times, including on Thursday.
“They are the future of the club. It is simple. They are Manly through and through and as far as we’re concerned they will be here until at least the end of 2026.
“There is no doubt they are a little disappointed with what has gone on in the past few months. But they love the club and they won’t be going anywhere.”