A dog caused a fire in a house in England on Christmas Eve after jumping onto a bed and accidentally turning on a hairdryer, according to fire authorities.
The homeowner, who was out during the incident, returned and found her Hockley, Essex, house full of smoke.
According to Essex Fire Service, the homeowner found her dog sitting and waiting outside the front door when she came back.
Fire officials believe that the dog jumped onto a bed, accidentally turning on a hairdryer that the woman had left plugged in on top of it.
Fire crews found a fire in the bedroom after responding to reports of a smoke-filled house, the New York Post reported.
The hot blow dryer started a fire on the bedding, which then spread to the mattress, Watch Manager Gary Shinn said.
Firefighters put out the bedroom fire immediately.
The homeowner and the dog were treated for smoke inhalation.
“Once you’ve finished with any electrical appliances such as hairdryers and straighteners please take a moment to unplug them,” Shinn warned. “The homeowner wouldn’t have thought for one moment her dog would turn on the hairdryer, but unplugging something just gives you that peace of mind.”
Meanwhile, in June, a dog managed to turn on a kitchen stove in a Missouri home, resulting in a grease fire, Fox News reported.
Southern Platte Fire Protection District Division Chief Chris Denney told the outlet, “New appliances are being seen with touch controls that activate by the simple touch of a finger. An animal’s paw can also activate these types of controls.”
Denney said that grease in “a pan from the night prior’s dinner” ignited.
According to Denney, only two dogs were inside the home when the fire started, and both were reportedly saved. However, there was extensive damage to the inside of the home.
“Please use built-in safety’s if available on appliances when not in use and accessible by children and/or animals,” the official added.