The exclusion of Prince Harry’s memoir from its publisher’s list of upcoming books has sparked rumors that the release of the royal’s book has been delayed.
9Honey reporter Natalie Oliveri, who has covered the British royal family for a decade and followed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on their royal tour of Australia and New Zealand in 2018, discussed the Duke of Sussex’s highly anticipated memoir during an appearance on the Australian morning talk show “Today Extra.”
Oliveri noted that no exact date was ever given for when Prince Harry’s book would be released, but it was believed to be coming out in September “because that was when the publisher said, later this year, autumn in the U.K. time.”
However, the memoir is notably absent from publisher Penguin Random House’s list of upcoming releases, leading some to speculate that it’s been pushed back.
“We think it’s being delayed because it hasn’t been included on a list of the upcoming books on the marketing list. So some are saying that it has been pushed back,” the journalist said. “There are suggestions that the royal family has potentially intervened here. I think that’s a bit unlikely, perhaps, we’re going to be seeing a really big launch later this year.”
But a spokeswoman for Transworld, part of Penguin Random House, said in a statement that the memoir’s exclusion from the publisher’s marketing and promotional list doesn’t indicate that its release has been delayed.
“We don’t put every book on the list so there is nothing to be extrapolated from that,” the spokeswoman told The Sun Sunday.
When Prince Harry’s memoir was first announced in July last year, Penguin Random House said in a press release on its website that the release of the book was “tentatively scheduled for late 2022.”
The publisher said the “intimate and heartfelt” memoir will cover Prince Harry’s “lifetime in the public eye from childhood to the present day, including his dedication to service, the military duty that twice took him to the frontlines of Afghanistan, and the joy he has found in being a husband and father.”
In a statement, the Duke of Sussex said he will give an “accurate” and “truthful” account of his life.
“I’m writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become. I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story—the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned—I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think,” Prince Harry said.
He continued, “I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”
Proceeds from the memoir will be donated to charity, according to the press release.
In March, royal expert Omid Scobie, who co-wrote the Sussex biography “Finding Freedom,” said Prince Harry has no plans to rip Queen Elizabeth II or other members of the royal family in his upcoming book.
“Harry really is going out of his way to make sure that there isn’t material in there that can be seen as negative towards the Queen or her reign in any way whatsoever,” the royal correspondent said on the “Royally Obsessed” podcast.