World Vegetarian Day is celebrated every year on Oct. 1 to promote the benefits of a meatless diet and help to create a better world by saving animal lives.
It was first observed by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS) in 1977 and was later endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union.
In addition to preserving animals, vegetarianism helps to improve human health by reducing cancer risk, promoting heart health, and controlling blood pressure. It is also beneficial for the ecosystem as it decreases the emission of greenhouse gases and mitigates environmental pollution caused by animal agriculture.
Here are some quotes from vegetarians that would encourage you to adopt the healthy way of living on a plant diet (courtesy: Vegetarian Nation)
- “Animals are my friends…and I don’t eat my friends.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.” – Linda or Paul McCartney
- “For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” – Pythagoras
- “The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “People often say that humans have always eaten animals as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times.” – Isaac Bashevis
- “Animals are nicer than humans and they’re conscious beings. If you stick your grandmother in an oven, she will probably be tasty. But is that any reason to eat your grandmother?” – Morrissey
- “Nothing’s changed my life more. I feel better about myself as a person, being conscious and responsible for my actions, and I lost weight and my skin cleared up, and I got bright eyes and I just became stronger and healthier and happier. I can’t think of anything better in the world but to be vegan.” – Alicia Silverstone
- “I like animals, all animals. I wouldn’t hurt a cat or a dog – or a chicken or a cow. And I wouldn’t ask someone else to hurt them for me. That’s why I’m a vegetarian.” – Peter Dinklage
- “Chickens, pigs and other animals are interesting individuals with personalities and intelligence. What people need to understand is that if they’re eating animals, they’re promoting cruelty to animals.” – Pamela Anderson