World Religion Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of January every year as an occasion to promote harmony and peace among different faiths across the world.
It was first celebrated in 1950 based on a concept that originated from the Bahá’í faith that believes in the unity of god, religion and all mankind.
On World Religion Day, different organizations conduct interfaith events that allow people to get together and hear about the philosophies behind different religions. It is an opportunity to have a better understanding of various faiths.
It is estimated that there are approximately 4,200 religions around the world.
Here are some quotes about religion that will help you understand the need for harmony among different faiths (Courtesy: Brainy Quote):
- “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” – Dalai Lama
- “When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad, and that’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live as if there isn’t and to die to find out that there is.” – Albert Camus
- “The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.” – Thomas Paine
- “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” – Buddha
- “Religion is part of the human make-up. It’s also part of our cultural and intellectual history. Religion was our first attempt at literature, the texts, our first attempt at cosmology, making sense of where we are in the universe, our first attempt at health care, believing in faith healing, our first attempt at philosophy.” – Christopher Hitchens
- “Religion in its humility restores man to his only dignity, the courage to live by grace.” – George Santayana
- “All religions must be tolerated… for every man must get to heaven in his own way.” – Epictetus
- “Religion is the everlasting dialogue between humanity and God. Art is its soliloquy.” – Franz Werfel
- “Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton